I set environment variable JAVA_OPTS=-Xmx128m, default is 64m.
But build failed with similar error like yours, posted on the
xdoclet-dev mailing list.
There is a hint to increase available memory for ant using env ANT_OPTS.
So I also set ANT_OPTS=-Xmx128m and build was successful now.

Thanks
Frank Langelage