Bugs item #620440, was opened at 2002-10-08 20:37
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=620440&group_id=22866

Category: CatalinaBundle
Group: v3.0 Rabbit Hole

Initial Comment:
jboss 3.0.3 with tomcat 4.1.12 bundle
Windows XP, 2000, NT
Java 1.3.1_03 and 4.1.1
Happening on combinations of the above!

I am hot deploying an ear file, everwriting the existing
one of the same name in the deploy directory.

The undeploy is throwing the exception as it undeploys
the war part of the ear. Undeploys the ejb part just fine.

2002-10-07 20:00:22,035 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Undeploying
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear
2002-10-07 20:00:22,045 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Stopping
2002-10-07 20:00:22,075 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Stopped
2002-10-07 20:00:22,075 INFO
[org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaService41]
undeploy, ctxPath=/eBuy,
warUrl=file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/
eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-
web.war
2002-10-07 20:00:22,085 INFO
[org.jboss.web.localhost.Engine] StandardHost
[localhost]: Removing web application at context
path /eBuy
2002-10-07 20:00:22,165 ERROR
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Undeployment
failed:
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/eBuy/d
eploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-web.war
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException: Error
during deploy; - nested throwable:
(java.lang.NullPointerException)
at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.stop
(AbstractWebContainer.java:355)
at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.stop
(MainDeployer.java:469)
at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.stop
(MainDeployer.java:481)
at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.undeploy
(MainDeployer.java:443)
at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.undeploy
(MainDeployer.java:438)
at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.undeploy
(MainDeployer.java:411)
at
org.jboss.mx.capability.ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.invok
e(ReflectedMBeanDispatcher.java:284)
at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke
(MBeanServerImpl.java:517)
at org.jboss.util.jmx.MBeanProxy.invoke
(MBeanProxy.java:174)
at $Proxy4.undeploy(Unknown Source)
at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.
undeploy(URLDeploymentScanner.java:457)
at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.
scan(URLDeploymentScanner.java:552)
at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScan
ner$ScannerThread.doScan
(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:212)
at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScan
ner$ScannerThread.loop
(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:225)
at
org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScan
ner$ScannerThread.run
(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:202)
+ nested throwable:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jboss.util.file.Files.delete(Files.java:39)
at
org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaService41.perfo
rmUndeploy(EmbeddedCatalinaService41.java:330)
at org.jboss.web.AbstractWebContainer.stop
(AbstractWebContainer.java:345)
[...]
2002-10-07 20:00:22,406 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.EARDeployer] Undeploying J2EE
application, destroy step:
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear
2002-10-07 20:00:22,416 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Destroying
2002-10-07 20:00:22,446 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Remove JSR-77 EJB Module:
jboss.management.single:J2EEApplication=eBuy.ear,J2
EEServer=Single,j2eeType=EJBModule,name=eBuy-
ejb.jar
2002-10-07 20:00:22,456 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Destroyed
2002-10-07 20:00:22,466 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] not deleting
localUrl, it is null or not a copy:
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/eBuy/d
eploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-ejb.jar
2002-10-07 20:00:22,476 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Undeployed
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/eBuy/d
eploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-ejb.jar
2002-10-07 20:00:22,486 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] not deleting
localUrl, it is null or not a copy:
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/eBuy/d
eploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-web.war
2002-10-07 20:00:22,496 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Undeployed
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/eBuy/d
eploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-web.war
2002-10-07 20:00:22,506 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] could not delete
directory
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/eBuy/d
eploy/eBuy.ear/91.eBuy.ear restart will delete it
2002-10-07 20:00:22,516 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Undeployed
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear
2002-10-07 20:00:22,536 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer] Starting
deployment of package:
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear
2002-10-07 20:00:22,906 INFO
[org.jboss.deployment.EARDeployer] Init J2EE
application:
file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear
2002-10-07 20:00:25,660 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Creating
2002-10-07 20:00:25,740 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbBuyers
2002-10-07 20:00:25,771 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbDocuments
2002-10-07 20:00:25,791 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbPoHead
2002-10-07 20:00:25,831 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbPoHistory
2002-10-07 20:00:25,921 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbPoLines
2002-10-07 20:00:25,941 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbSchedule
2002-10-07 20:00:25,961 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying
EbScheduleProperty
2002-10-07 20:00:25,981 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbUsers
2002-10-07 20:00:26,021 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbVendorBuyer
2002-10-07 20:00:26,041 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying EbVendors
2002-10-07 20:00:26,091 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying ChangePo
2002-10-07 20:00:26,101 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying DocumentSender
2002-10-07 20:00:26,121 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying NotifyService
2002-10-07 20:00:26,141 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying PasswordUtil
2002-10-07 20:00:26,161 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying PoInbound
2002-10-07 20:00:26,181 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Deploying RaInbound
2002-10-07 20:00:26,602 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Created
2002-10-07 20:00:26,632 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Starting
2002-10-07 20:00:27,703 INFO
[org.jboss.ejb.EjbModule] Started
2002-10-07 20:00:28,334 WARN
[org.jboss.util.NestedThrowable] Duplicate throwable
nesting of same base type: class
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException is
assignable from: class
org.jboss.deployment.DeploymentException
2002-10-07 20:00:28,354 INFO
[org.jboss.web.catalina.EmbeddedCatalinaService41]
deploy, ctxPath=/eBuy,
warUrl=file:/C:/Java/jboss/server/eBuy/tmp/deploy/server/
eBuy/deploy/eBuy.ear/92.eBuy.ear-contents/eBuy-
web.war

Warjort said:

It looks like it is trying to delete a work
directory when there isn't one?
Since it fails with a NullPointerException there is no
problem, and this is the last step by the looks of it.

Sorry, I don't know that much about Embedded Tomcat,
maybe you should report it as a bug at
www.sf.net/projects/jboss

And so I did!

Comment By: Sandra Schmidt (sandresen)