Bill,

> My thinking is that a "well-crafted object graph or relational db" needs
> be crafted and the code maintained.  Most components in JBoss are
configured

Well, so do DTDs and XML schemas.  It is an interesting argument that an XML
Document object is a more flexible construct than a given arrangement of
Data Objects (Hashtables, lists), and POJOs.  I suppose the primary point is
that an XPath query is more easily maintained than a given set of method
calls.  It certainly avoids the compiler, but so does the JMX bus, which
does not use an XML document object as its metadata database...

> via XML files.  Why not store this XML in memory with Xerces? XML Objects
> provide us with a common, simple, easy way to store config data in memory
> and reference it(XPath).

Sure.  But don't the XML Objects eventually get converted into Objects?  Why
not keep those Objects in memory?

For the objects that end up as MBeans, perhaps an enhanced search mechanism
for the MBean Registry would be another way to address the problem?

  - Matt