On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, David Jencks wrote:

> Lets talk about (1) some more.  We already have the jboss mbean service
> lifecycle, with the create, start, stop, destroy methods called during
> deployment and undeployment.  If I understand your proposal correctly, the
> same effect of your jelly script could be obtained by writing some java
> code  in the mbean start method say to invoke the same methods on the same
> mbeans as in the jelly script.  Is this correct or did I miss something?

Debian supports failed upgrades, and calling a combination of the new and old
support scripts to back out the  upgrade.

There is a set of 4 main scripts, {pre,post}{inst,rm}.  They are called with
various arguments, to support upgrading, unpacking, and configuring.  A deb
can be in a removed state, which means it's files are gone, but the config
files still exist.  It's not until it's purged that the config files get
removed.

To do this upgrading, one would have to have both versions of a deployment
unpacked and installed at once, and these scripts would need access to both of
them(think about supporting bean format changes, etc).