The WebDAV scan just builds a list of what it thinks should be deployed. The
scanner then:
1) Undeploys anything previously deployed that wasn't found
2) Checks last-modified for anything currently deployed and re-deploys if
needed
3) Deploys anything new that was found

I don't use the last-modified value from the scan as each unit may have a
different watchUrl from the the deployment url. Instead it relies on
DeployedURL.isModified() which implies a network trip.

So, yes, hot deployment is supported even over http but it would be possible
to optimize this, especially for the remote situation where things are
always packed and watchUrl == url, if you think it's necessary.

There are a couple of other things that could be looked at here as well:
* Should getWatchUrl() be part of the (Sub)Deployer contract?
* Should we tidy up the mechanism for local copies and hook in the
deployment cache?
* Should we support unpacked remote (maybe with a helper to auto-jar on the
server)?
* Should we be smarter about re-deployment (e.g. factor in dependencies)?
and generally, can deployment be simplified? It seems to have evolved and be
more complex than necessary, or maybe I'm just tired :-)

Jeremy

PS I need to get the netboot-demo finished for Jason - this was a pre-req to
   simplifying that.