It's not especially computation intensive, but it is resource intensive: it consumes a process table entry. Each user is allowed only a certain number of process table entries, and the overall system has an upper limit.

Also, more threads will load the OS scheduler more. If they're idle it isn't as bad as if they're active, but it will/may consume time depending on the scheduling algorythm.

Even if a 'pool' imposes an upper limit and blocks until GC happens, well, yeah that'd work, but the finalizer call is a non-deterministic event. Non-deterministic software can be entertaining, but it's not something I want to base an enterprise infrastructure on.

-danch

Rhett Aultman wrote:
According to what I've read from various sources (http://www.kerneltrap.org, assorted Ingo Molnar interviews, etc), the cost of thread creation on Linux is comparable to that of process creation. I am not a big Linux C developer at the moment, but I was under the impression that process creation on Linux wasn't very expensive.