> I browsed back through the latest spec and I am still not
> sure what some of these objects represent, but that is not
> important for my initial focus. What I want is to remove the
> dependency on JSR-77 components from the core layer. Right
> now even the minimal configuration has to include the

JSR 77 is a service. The service plugs in the JMX server when it gets
deployed and starts listening for JMX events.  There is an EJB deployed
with the SAR that basically does the 77 EJB work of proxying invocations
directly to the JMX core.  There is also a pooling mechanisms through
that interface for notifications collected by the service. You can
invoke the JMX 77 MBean through any invoker including SNMP ones if
available. This means that it allows for other implementations of the
calls besides the standard EJB.  Use a native invoker if you so wish.

marcf