I am having problems to get JBoss run for longer than 1 week. Then the OS (Linux 2.4.x) throws "Too many open files"-errors.

Environment used:
- RedHat Linux 7.2 on a SMP-machine.
- BEA JRockit 8 (we are using JRockit because we see excessive GC-pauses (>500s !!) with the Sun JDK), heap-size 1.2GB
- JBoss 3.0.3 (tried JBoss 3.0.6, too) with Tomcat 4.0.6

A first investigation with the "lsof" (list open files) showed that the JVM has opened 140.000 files! I then had a look which files were open. One that is opened 100.000 times is one called ${jboss.home}/server/default/tmp/deploy/.../conf/jboss-service.xml. Can someone give me a hint where in the code this file is opened? I patched one place in JBoss already. That brought down the inital file open count to 10.000. So we now run into problems a little later.

Comments welcome
Thomas