On 2003.03.09 15:20 Bill Burke wrote:

> [...]

definitely.

 Why can't we have both?
> There's no reason why not.

sure, this is fine, my proposed interceptor design should let you do this
easily.  I don't quite see how to fit it into your current aop stuff
easily.  For the moment I am just using the jmx interceptors and they are
working fine.

One of my points here is that I think the purpose of the InterceptorFilter
is to simulate per-method chains (based on the comment "we should cache the
results of calling the filter"), and I think actual per-method chains are a
much clearer and cleaner implementation.  Certainly the current
implementation of InvocationFilter is silly, all it does is make 2 method
calls instead of one.

> > Bill, my impression is that you are planning to use your AOP framework
> > as-is for the ejb conversion.  Is there anything I can do to influence
> you
> > towards using per-method interceptors from the start?  Or do you think
> two
> > smaller rewrites is a better plan than one larger rewrite?
> >

> No where in our entire EJB/J2EE codebase do we use per-method
> interceptors.

Jmx has had per method interceptors for many months.  I'm just putting them
to use.

> The use of the AOP Invocation object nor the Interceptor interface
> effects
> configuration or whether or not there are method chains or not.

?? Can't decipher what you are trying to say here.

Thanks
david