I would rather have a separate migration tool than to actually provide the
ability to deploy older versions of JBoss.  Or even better, deployers that
actually tell you what is wrong with the XML you're deploying rather than
getting some barf from a DTD validator or XSL transformer.

Old code should be getting simpler and smaller with age as it gets
refactored.  I get a little wary when I see people writing abstractions for
the simplest of things.

Bill