That is because the instance synchronization still holds the lock
reference.
The cache also takes a lock reference at passivation.

1+1 == 2 > 1 which is what tryToPassivate checks.

In plain English, the Cache is saying I cannot passivate this
instance because somebody else besides me has a lock reference.

The fact that "the somebody else" has told the Cache to remove it
is not taken into account.

Regards,
Adrian

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx