We have a customer that needs to use JBoss Remoting / JMX Remoting in a fairly complex, although not unusual, network configuration.

Right now, we don't well support dynamic / NAT traversals for remoting either in detection or transport. We basically send the local machines address (which bind address is configurable) as part of the detection notification to the remote machine. This works fine on a local subnet. In the case of a remote subnet, you can use the JNDI detection which will bind the entry into a remote (or local) JNDI context which can then be browsed by any network that can reach the JNDI server.

In cases where NAT is being used (or potentially even DHCP, although slightly different), we need to be able to send the detection annotated with additional network interfaces, such as the public IP or hostname. Ideally, this could be a simple configuration that we would read / lookup (maybe as simple as a system property) and the Identity could be modified to include additional addresses (similar to InetAddress when you have multiple NICs locally). Then, the remote machine transport could then try the primary address and then secondary addresses if the primarily failed.

In addition, I wrote a SSHConnector that uses SSH tunneling (totally dynamic, not setup except giving it the credentials) on both sides to do SSH transport - I need to get this into remoting soon. This is an additional option, but not as flexible and slower.

Does anyone have any good ideas, suggestions, criticisms on this topic?