I hadn't tried the alternate way of using loadtime, thanks for pointing that
out.  I think that might be at least part of the solution, but now I'm running
into visibility issues with different classes.

I was looking over the code that creates the new java.lang.ClassLoader
(AspectManager.getInstrumentedClassLoader()), and I'm having trouble
understanding what it is doing.  It looks like it is completely replacing the
private native defineClass0 method on the classloader with its own. It looks
like it is for doing bytecode manipulation to instrument newly defined classes
as the classloader pulls them up.  Is that correct?  The thing I guess I'm
wondering is if it is replacing that native (JNI) method, how does that
probably necessary native call occur?

IBM's JVM has a similar defineClass0 method that also makes a native call, but
I'm wondering if there is a difference between the two.

It seems like since I'm running in WebSphere this is a classloader issue.  I'm
wondering if I shouldn't be focusing on trying to get the app level classloader
instrumented correctly instead of the system level classloader.  Any thoughts
on that?  Were there similar issues integrating JBoss-AOP into JBoss-AS, since
it probably is working with multiple classloaders and scopes?

If I'm able to get this running, I'm definitely more than happy to post
whatever I find on the wiki... I just need to figure out how to get it to work
first.

Thanks,

Tom

View the original post :