Bugs item #1090921, was opened at 2004-12-24 11:18
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by starksm
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=1090921&group_id=22866

Category: JBossCMP
Group: v4.0

Initial Comment:
Hi,

I have experienced strange memory leaks under JBoss
4.0.0 after 7 hours, and under JBoss 4.0.1RC2 after 3.5
hours running my application. (In the first 7 hours my
application consumes 100M of memory under 4.0.0,
however after 7 hours the memory consumption raises
lineraly). I used YourKit to detect the memory leak and
I found that the memory is chiefly occupied by HashMap
and entity bean proxies.

Unfortunately I cannot provide source code, but I can
give a short description of the component architecture
and functioning:
(a) objects are inserted into a messaging topic
(b) an MDB receives the objects and:
  (b.i) dispaches them to a resource adapter (the RA
sends the object over the network)
  (b.ii) creates a database entry using the String(s)
returned by the RA (a tuple looks like this: [String:
id, Date: date, String: st]; I'm using a CMP entity bean)

(c) a timer periodically removes the overaged database
entries (see date). ejbTimeout is implemented by a
stateless session bean, database entries are removed by
the corresponding CMP entity bean

(d) whenever the RA receives an object over the
network, it dispatches it to a stateless session bean,
which is registered as an endpoint at the RA
(e) the stateless session bean
  (e.i) updates the database entry (using the ), or
more precisely, its "st" field
  (e.ii) inserts a new database entry
  (e.iii) if the "st" field statisfies certain
conditions, removes both the inserted and updated entries

Additional infos:
  * OS: RedHat AS (running on various hardware, e.g.
simple PC and a 4 processor Xeon server)
  * JDK: jdk1.4.5
  * I see lot of log messages regarding rolled back
transactions (because of timeouts); these exceptions
are thrown in the CMP entity bean in that method, which
removes the overaged entries. After a findByDate I
iterate over the resulting collection and when I want
to access "id", an exception is thrown. Not always, but
strangely often.
  * the memory leak emerges after 7 (or 3.5) hours
regardless the load, and configuration. The load
influences only the gradient of the lineraly increasing
(and therefore deadly) period.

Merry Christmas,

Mormota

>Comment By: Scott M Stark (starksm)
I simplified the application to the following (see new step
b.iii):
(a) objects are inserted into a messaging topic
(b) an MDB receives the objects and:
(b.i) dispaches them to a resource adapter (the RA
sends the object over the network)
(b.ii) creates a database entry using the String(s)
returned by the RA (a tuple looks like this: [String:
id, Date: date, String: st]; I'm using a CMP entity bean)
(b.iii) _removes the new entry_

Despite the database entries are removed instantly after
their creation (and therefore the database is empty), the
memory usade increases steadyly.

In stable JBoss 4.0.1, there is no 3.5 (or 7) hours long
constant-memory-use period.

The pace of memory consumption growth can be reduced by
using C "commit option" (instead of the default B).

Memory leak still persist when using jdk 1.5.