I was very excited to download the IDE from JBoss since I am a big fan of what
Eclipse is trying to accomplish.  Why they don't include JSP syntax
highlighting by default blows my mind.  So I thought JBoss had finally
delivered to me the holy grail of open source IDEs.

To my disappointment, the syntax highlighting is very basic.  Again, mind
blowing how little effort is being put into this by those developing Eclipse
plugins.  At this point I would pay for a plugin that did this the way
Intelli-J does.  I have no reason to move away from JetBrains and I was really
hoping I could.

Eclipse3.0 is a vast improvement and the JBoss IDE is a great tool in
general... probably the best plugin I've seen for Eclipse.  However, I won't
use it until some real effort is put into the JSP editor.  I'm big on EJBs and
all, but a great deal of my time is working on JSP.

This tool should do what Intelli-J does and what eclipse does for normal class
files.

* More than 2-3 colors for highlighting
* Offset JavaScript in an entirely different background from JSP code and HTML
* Offset color for comments.
* AT THE VERY LEAST (and this is a deal breaker) - Allow the CTL click
navigation of code (from invocation to declaration) the way it already does
with normal .java files.  I mean, seriously!

COTS IDEs are expensive for a reason... they offer A LOT of functionality.
Open source needs to compete on this level.

My apologies to all the VI and notepad coders who I'm sure are rolling their
eyes at my whining.  I'm sure you think Eclipse is already overkill :)

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3863131#3863131

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3863131