Wow.  Well, this fileDrop is very simple - it slurps in the file contents in a
single byte[] and transmits that byte array over the network (via
JBoss/Remoting transporting and marshalling) to the server.  No chunking or
anything.

So, as you can see, the JVM must have enough memory to store the contents of
the file in memory (both the client JVM and the server JVM).  2MB should be
doable.  Getting into the 10s of megabytes will be problematic.  That why I
think it is ideal for small-to-medium size files like configs and the like.
Large jars/wars/ears - you have to be careful.  I like the idea of a remote
input stream for this kind of thing.  WinAmp for JBoss :-)

As for performance - dunno.  How fast does JBoss/Remoting transmit a several
megabyte payload :-)

--
John Mazz

View the original post :