I read that thread and it looks like the idea is to refactor common into
multiple top-level
projects (option #2). If that's the case, you should be able to rely on the jar
plugin as long as
you are not trying to create JARs that contains classes from dependencies.

--- Ruel Loehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In our current configuration, the jar plugin is not adequate.  For a
> given module, we need to build many artifacts (see the build forum post
> here):
>
> http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3923333#3923333
>
> I spent some time looking at the assembly plugin as well, but did not
> find it suitable for the following reasons.
>
> 1)  It must be called manually.   We don't want to have to call this for each
> module.

In Maven2, when you execute "mvn assembly:assembly" from a top-level project,
it will run that
goal on every subproject referenced.  But, this assumes that you'd want to run
assembly:assembly
on every subproject.

> 2)  It lacks functionality for adding classes from dependencies into a
> jar.  E.g, I want to create a jar and add some classes from another
> modules output.

This is possible, but I'm not surprised that you didn't see how this is
accomplished.  The
Assembly plugin is one of  worst documented plugins of the bunch.  You could
create an assembly
descriptor that would unpack a selected set of dependency jars.

Although, I'd recommend against this.   See the end of this message.

> 3)  It seemed to me overall that the assembly plugin was best used for
> creating the final project structure, not for building the outputs of
> each subproject.

I think that the most obvious use of the assembly plug-in is to use it to build
final project
distributions.  A less obvious use would be to use it to create these JARs that
contain mixtures
of dependency jars.  I'm just offering it as an example of something that could
be done.  I think
the assembly plugin could probably do this, but it would be a stretch.   I
think this is a job for
a custom plugin.

Tim