MarshalledInvocation is initializing
org.jboss.invocation.unified.interfaces.JavaSerializationManager on its
static block, to avoid the dependency on the streaming Tom mentioned.

public class MarshalledInvocation
        extends Invocation
        implements java.io.Externalizable
{
   // Constants -----------------------------------------------------

   static
   {
      try
      {

Class.forName("org.jboss.invocation.unified.interfaces.JavaSerialization
Manager");
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
      }
   }

The instantiation of the streaming is being delegated to these
factories. And
org.jboss.invocation.unified.interfaces.JavaSerializationmanager creates
streams compatible with previous versions. (In case of MarshalledInvoker
being used with PooledInvoker for example).