From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Adrian Brock
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:47 AM
To: jboss-development@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] Breaking out the server/metadata classes

You mean the org.jboss.metadata.MetaData class?

There already is a sort of clone of it in common see org.jboss.util.xml.XmlHelper

It doesn't look like it is used though?
It's almost certainly out-of-date?

The real MetaData does need changing like you describe, but it does have the problem of mixing J2EE defined stuff with jboss specific stuff from jboss-xxx.xml in the same class. Sometimes the jboss specific stuff is defined by the plugin i.e. "XmlLoadable", so you don't even have a metadata class as such.

I've always thought that this stuff should be part of the deployment layer. But then there are advantages and disadvantages for the metadata, deployer and container/runtime to live in the same project.
Advantage: It is easy to maintain.
Disadvantage: It is difficult to expose the model to a client because runtime dependencies inevitably leak into it.

Bill Burke
Chief Architect
JBoss Inc.