> 1)  When we start JBoss, there are a large number of java processes
> started - I'm assuming
> that represents all the services, etc. that it needs.  Each one of these
> processes is reported
> as taking 156M of memory!!  (More if we up the VM's heap size, etc.)
>
>         a.  Why so much memory?  Is it because they are all running their
> own VM??
>         b.  How come JBoss doesn't report the same number of processes or
> memory on NT?
This is not a JBoss issue, its a Java VM issue. You have to know how the VM
make use of the operating system. Linux has a different threading model than
either NT or Solaris. See
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/java2/index.html?dwzone=java
for a discussion of IBM's work on Linux threads and Java.