Connecting from Tomcat without the -nonaming option looks like this:

Properties props = new Properties();
props.setProperty(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,"org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
props.setProperty(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jnp.interfaces");
props.setProperty(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jboss-server:1099");
InitialContext jndiContext = new InitialContext(props);

Be careful NOT to use UserTransaction from Tomcat when connecting in this
way.  There is an outstanding bug:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=574130&group_id=22866&atid=376685

Of course you will also need to include the JBoss client JAR files in the
class path for Tomcat.