Thanks for the reply Dain.  You are right.  I read the code wrong.  The code
calls a method based on the destination class first before attempting the
getBytes() call.  I'm guessing the reason for my issue is that the
destination class is java.util.Date which maps to getTimestamp() which is
probably not returning a value.  This would explain why it goes on to call
getBytes() and fails on the deserialization.  I have since changed the schema
to TIMESTAMP on the table so that I could get around the issue (it only takes
up a little more space).  I probably would have been forced into the change
anyway because I would rather not use a java.sql class in a bean.  Others
have voiced the same desire.  Maybe some day Sun will create java.util
classes that represent the time-only, date-only, and date-time values that
people often want to use.

So I guess the FYI should have been, you can no longer use java.util.Date in
your bean against a TIME column in PostgreSQL.  I do realize that you stopped
using ResultSet.getObject() because some jdbc drivers don't let you call
getBytes() after you have called getObject() on the same index.  I don't
think you had a choice but to do it the way you did.  The only thing I can
think of that may be useful would be a jbosscmp-jdbc.xml directive that
allows us to specify the ResultSet get method used for a given attribute.