-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Andrew May
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 9:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [JBoss-user] AbstractInstanceCache deadlock

Hi,

We've just release a production service using JBoss 3.2.1 on
Solaris with Sun's 1.4.2 JVM,
and we're seeing a deadlock on the AbstractInstanceCache for one
of our stateful session
beans that's used heavily.

Over a period of time more and more threads become locked trying
to insert or get from the
cache, until all the Jetty threads (currently set to a maximum of
255 on the AJP13
listener we're using) are locked and the entire site becomes
unresponsive. This seems to
be happening about once an hour.

I've attached a portion of the thread dump from the server when
it has become unresponsive.
It shows one thread running
org.jboss.ejb.plugins.LRUEnterpriseContextCachePolicy$OveragerTask
.run with a lock
passivating from the AbstractInstanceCache and then a lock and wait on a
org.jboss.ejb.plugins.lock.QueuedPessimisticEJBLock. Another
thread is trying to get from
the cache, and one is inserting into the cache. In the entire
thread dump there are more
inserts than gets.

Because we are using mod_jk and the AJP13 listener we are able to
use the HTTP listener to
view the jmx-console after the site has become unresponsive, but
I'm not sure what to look
for.

We're going to download the source and start looking at the cache
implementation, but we
would appreciate any help or advice, as we need to fix this urgently.

Regards,

Andrew