Hi folks,

Now that I've managed to configure Wintendo 2000 Server to service a
high number of threads (up to about 7,000 although I'm using fewer than
that), I'm running into an open handle problem. :-)

Since I can't figure out how to bump the OS handle limit, I'm trying to
limit the number of handles used by JBoss-tomcat.

Using ProcessExplorer[1], I see that a large number of handles (about
1,500) are open for files deployed by UrlDeploymentScanner (jar and xml
files).

I have the JBoss-3.2.1 book, and have checked the documentation in
the section "Hot Deployment of Components, the UrlDeploymentScanner".

I've tried setting ScanPeriod to 0 (not documented to behave the way I
guessed it might) and the equivalent of 6 hours, and I can't seem to get
JBoss to release those file handles.

Is there a way to use UrlDeploymentScanner for initial container boot,
but to never rescan for deployment updates?  I'm assuming it's the need
to rescan that causes JBoss to hold these file handles open.

We don't need the ability to hot deploy or redeploy after container
boot, and can't anyway because we haven't specified dependencies.

I realize that an easier solution would be to bump the OS handle limit,
but my Wintendo Fu is lacking.

Thanks,
Sheldon.

[1] http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml