As someone who's thought about learning elisp, I'd say your first effort
sets a high standard!  :)

I have a suggested modification:  I think the line

           "find %s %s -type f | xargs grep %s -n \"%s\""

is improved by this

           "find %s %s -type f | xargs grep %s -n \"%s\" /dev/null"

(not sure if you need to escape the slashes.)

This way, grep won't miss any hits in the last file that find produces.

Also, I think there is a way to handle file names with spaces in them by
using a print0 argument to find, but I have never been able to get that to
work on my NT / cygwin box.