From: Paul Kinnucan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 8:53 AM
To: Brad Porter
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: JDE Bug

At 08:37 AM 6/6/2001 -0600, Brad Porter wrote:
>Hello.  I am finding that I have to modify 'jde-compile.el' in order to
>get the JDK " -d " option to work correctly under cygwin.

I set directory-path-sep to ?/ in my .emacs file for the rare times I
use
XEmacs (for testing JDE compatibility).This eliminates the need for
quoting. Note that the default separator under NT/Emacs is forward
slash.

I think it was a mistake on the part of the NT/XEmacs developers to make

the default separator a back slash. First, there was no need to do it as

Windows applications don't care whether the slash is forward or
backward.
Secondly, it makes life difficult for users who uses applications, such
as
bash, that treat the forward slash as an escape character.

- Paul

smime.p7s