Daniel,

If you read Paul's note, the problem he's trying to solve arises precisely
because it is too expensive to have a lot of chatter across I/O between
emacs and an external java process.  The solution he's considering --
put the display logic into the java process so as to avoid the I/O --
addresses the problem.  Your proposal - a different window layout managed
by ECB - adds more complexity (by bringing ECB into the mix) without
doing anything to reduce the high cost of I/O between the debugger and its
display.

Eric

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel Hegyi" writes:
: >I think it is practical to use Java to extend Emacs where not much
: >interaction is required between Emacs and the extension, the wizards
: >and the debugger are examples. It may even be possible to provide
: >those extensions with a Java GUI. Pettar Maehlen and I have been
: >discussing the possibility of creating a Java window for JDEbug to display
: >local variable values when stepping through a program. Currently
: >displaying local variables slows down stepping significantly because
: >it involves sending significant amounts of text across the
: >standard I/O channel to Emacs. A separate local variable window
: >that lives in the debugger process instead of the Emacs process would
: >eliminate this bottleneck.
: I think this would be great! JDE is already a very powerful IDE, that is, it
: has a great deal of functionality. But I'm concerned with the UI aspect of
: it. Emacs-ers are used to doing M-x all the time, however, I think it could
: benefit much from some GUI components instead of having to memorize so many
: functions.
:
: Regarding the inspection of local vars you may also want to consider
: displaying them in an ECB window. (Although ECB is not a mandatory component
: of JDE, it seems like a natural fit for the problem.) Maybe having the
: option of having either Java GUI or ECB inspection view?
:
:
: Regards,
: Daniel
:
: MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos:
: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx
: