Title: RE: Interfacing Java tools with JDEE

Hi Vasek,

OK, I was too generic. But you would agree that *most* of the Java
editors in large use today 1) are Java-based 2) support extensions (plug-ins)
written in Java.

> - you'll always have different languages standing in the way of re-use...
> For maximum pluggability, you can go below programming language level
> and communicate using structured data - Emacs supports that (note how
> pluggable javac and other compilers are), but of course it has its own
> problems...

I want to solve a much more specific problem: Java plug-ins for JDEE.

> > JDEE/Emacs is too far away from the other IDEs out there. Not better
> > or worse, but different.
> It isn't just the case of Emacs - I wouldn't expect (for example)
> Microsoft tools to be scriptable in Java either...

I'm not trying to solve that problem.

[snip]

> > I think JDEE would greatly benefit by providing a true Java-based
> > plug-in architecture and removing the elisp "language
> barrier". What is
> I disagree. IMHO it's Emacs which would greatly benefit from being
> scriptable in multiple languages - but I don't see that happening this
> century... :-)

Maybe, but I'm not fighting this battle. Last time I posted about this issue
I got a lot of replies talking about extending Emacs with Java, Perl, etc.
This is not the point I'm making. I'm talking about a very specific feature (support for Java
plug-ins) for a very specific Emacs package (JDEE).  I think that by keeping the focus
we can have it happenning much sooner than the end of the century... ;-)

> > and easy to use way for Java designers to extend JDEE?
> Nothing against
> > learning elisp, but code re-use and standardization are worthwhile
> Well, Emacs is standartized on elisp. I agree that most Java tools are
> standartized on something entirely different, but if someting has to
> give,
> I'd try to push the Java tools first - Emacs is just too
> heavy to push
> around...

Emacs is flexible enough to support a middle ground solution.
Regards,
        Nascif