Okay I have some answers.  I started fresh and got JDE to work right
away.  Then I started adding stuff back in to my init.el.  Apparently
the code where I add a custom hook in c-mode-common-hook to set my own
c style is causing the problem.  Perhaps somewhere in the cc-mode stuff
it adds the association of .java with java-mode regardless if it is
already set or not.  Thanks again for the help.