Very odd.  This should work.  To double check, perhaps you can execute
these lines:

(if (not (fboundp 'line-beginning-position))
    (defsubst jde-line-beginning-position (&optional N)
      (save-excursion (beginning-of-line N) (point)))
  (defalias 'jde-line-beginning-position 'line-beginning-position))

(if (not (fboundp 'line-end-position))
    (defsubst jde-line-end-position (&optional N)
      (save-excursion (end-of-line N) (point)))
  (defalias 'jde-line-end-position 'line-end-position))

Execute them by marking them as a region (using ctrl-space at the
beginning and then moving to the end of the region) and then doing M-x
eval-region.  Does it still happen after you do that?

These lines are from jde-db.el, and should insure that
line-beginning-position is defined no matter what your system is.
Perhaps you do not have these lines, or for some reason they are not
executing.

To be safe, you really should have a .emacs file.  See the JDE manual
on how to configure it to use JDE.  It may help in this instance,
although right now I can't think of a reason why.