At 04:30 PM 1/18/2005, Paul Kinnucan wrote:

Troy Daniels writes:
> At 03:59 PM 1/18/2005, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
>
> >Troy Daniels writes:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to allocate more memory for the debugger process? I'm
> > > running into a problem where jde.debugger.Main is running out of
> > > memory. One of my local variables is a very long string (about 10 Mb)
> > and
> > > the debugger process runs out of memory when it tries to display it.
> > >

> >Hi Troy,
> >
> >Try increasing jde-db-option-heap-size. If this doesn't work, let me know.
>
> The maximum is already set at 1000 Mb. Looking at the *JDEbug* buffer, I
> don't think that's the right option for the problem I'm having. A partial
> excerpt of the *JDEbug* buffer:
>
> cd
> d:/dev/logging_reorg_import/KBR_ISD_VOB/Jaguar_Plan_Generator_Component/products/PGTest/test
> c:/j2sdk1.4.2_04/bin/javaw.exe -classpath
> d:/Programs/emacs-21.2/site-lisp/jde/java/lib/jde.jar;c:/j2sdk1.4.2_04/lib/tools.jar

> jde.debugger.Main
>
> JDE> -1 1 launch 1 -vmexec javaw -classpath <deleted> -Xms400m
> -Xmx1000m junit.textui.TestRunner
> com.alphatech.kbr.jaguar.pgtest.test.NightlyTests
>
> I don't need to change the values in the launch command, I want to add them
> to the javaw ... jde.debugger.Main command. The program creates a
> StringBuffer for a 10 Mb string. That works fine. When I step a few lines
> further and stringBuffer.toString is assigned to a local String variable, I
> get an java.lang.OutOfMemory message in the JDEbug buffer and the local
> variable window starts to act funky. (It sometimes leaves portions drawn
> in solid grey.)

Hi Troy,

Try setting jde-db-option-vm-args to the vm command line option for
the heap size. Unfortunately, I don't remember the option name. I
think this will set the heap for the debugger as opposed to the heap
for the process being debugged. Let me know what happens.

That's just an alternate way to specify jde-db-option-heap-size. The launch command now contains

-Xms400m -Xmx1000m -Xmx600m

which is a concatenation of the values in jde-db-option-heap-size and jde-db-option-vm-args.

As a side note, the jde-db-option-vm-args looks like it was copied from jde-run-option-vm-args and not completely updated.

Troy

Paul