Hey all,

Another commercial entity, Jive Software, is going to release their full
blown live assistant product soon.  It looks really nice:
http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/liveassistant/

While developing the product, we've been working on a full JEP to address the functionality. It introduces the concept of a workgroup that multiple agents belong to. Users send requests to join the workgroup queue and then are routed to available agents. If the agent accepts the conversation, both the agent and user are given group chat invitations to join a room to carry out the actual conversation.

If anyone is interested in working on this JEP with us, please send me an email. We'll definitely be releasing it publicly when finished so that others can implement projects or products on top of it.

Of course, if you don't want to go with XMPP, there are many commercial offerings. Probably the best known is LivePerson, which has a proprietary system. We think going with a solution based on an open protocol is far better, however. :)

Regards,
Matt