Dov,

We'll be releasing Jive Messenger (XMPP server) as Open Source within
the next couple of days, which includes a full MUC implementation. Our
Open Source client library, Smack, already includes a full client API
implementation of MUC. Both are 100% Java and can be found at
http://www.jivesoftware.org.

Regards,
Matt