Raffaele,

First, I would firgure out the max number of concurrent users of your
application. If it's not more than a couple hundred, you should just use
Smack or JSO (one client per connection) and not worry about it further.
However, there are certainly cases where one connection per client in
the app-server just won't cut it. We've run into this problem when
trying to make our web-based group chat client scale to a large number
of users.

To address this exact problem, we've started up Project Pampero:
http://www.jivesoftware.org/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=48. The overall
theme is to bring a much higher level of scalability to Jive Messenger.
As part of that effort we'll define an extension to the component JEP to
make it possible to aggregate multiple clients on a single TCP/IP
connection (which makes it possible to to have a two-tier connection
manager architecture). Once we've created that protocol and support it
in Jive Messenger, we'd also like to support it in Smack. That should
accomplish exactly what you're looking for.

There's no schedule on when any of this will be done, but you're more
than welcome to join our effort. :)

As another (partial) approach -- you can get presence information for
users over HTTP when using the Jive Messenger presence service plugin.
You can either get a user's presence as an image for easy integration
into existing pages, or get it as XML (REST style web service). I know
that other servers have similar functionality. Download of the plugin is
at: http://www.jivesoftware.org/messenger/plugins.jsp

Regards,
Matt