Raymond,

I definitely think you've found the right protocol with XMPP/Jabber. It
has strong security features built-in such as client to server
encryption and strong authentication. There's also a lot of power in
using an open protocol for customer support chat so that you can do
things like route chats to any IM user or use any instant messaging
client for your agents.

XMPP by itself doesn't have all the features you're looking for.
However, we submitted a protocol extension called Workgroups
(http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0142.html) that deals with this
functionality. We also have a commercial product that implements this
protocol called Live Assistant --
http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/liveassistant/. I think Live
Assistant does pretty much exactly what you're looking for. The answers
to your questions below are specific to Live Assistant.

> Do u have any plans to add encryption/decryption?  If not,
> the JOSL license allows anyone to use/modify the source for
> public, private or commercial use (providing any changes made
> are submitted back to the project for possible inclusion).
> We are a non-profit and we would submit changes accordingly.

Encryption of streams is supported by the XMPP protocol. You can also
use https for the web client.

>  - customize client GUI with my logo and text

This is supported -- you can fully customize the web client from the
admin console.

>  - after a user logs into our site, pass their name or ID in,
> for logging purposes

You can pass in configurable meta-data or specify what form fields the
user needs to provide. You can then setup routing rules based on that
meta-data. So, if the user has a question about a certain topic, route
them to a certain group of support agents, etc.

>  - ability to save transripts to a database, file system or via email.

Transcripts are automatically saved. They're also available during chats
so that an agent can see past chat conversations. The chat transcripts
are also searchable in real-time to help find answers to questions that
have already been asked.

>  -  admin queue, transfer clients to or between CSRs, monitor
> queue times, duration, etc

All supported as well.

I hope that helps.

Regards,