On Nov 27, 2007 12:17 PM, Dave Cridland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Once all this is done, simply count the power stations in the target
> area (Google Maps, or simply go and look - you can certainly drive
> around the Doughnut in Cheltenham).

Here's another take on this: As it turns out, most people don't
encrypt their IM traffic.  If you're Evil Big Brother of Choice
(EBBOC), picking out encrypted IM streams from the unencrypted
haystack makes finding interesting needles much easier.

At that point, you use some other exploit (undisclosed, unpatched vuln
in OS of choice, for example)  to install a keystroke logger.  Much
simpler, and fewer greenhouse gases emitted.

"[I]t would be nice if everyone routinely used encryption for all
their email [and IM activity], innocent or not, so that no one drew
suspicion by asserting their email [and IM]  privacy with encryption."
[1]  It would be nice, but unfortunately, that's not currently the
case.

-David

[1] http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/essays/WhyIWrotePGP.html

--