On Dec 06, 2007, at 04:56, Ernest Nova wrote:

and both Gtalk and AIM are fairly open about APIs (XMPP and "legit access" via the OpenAIM program respectively) that you can use to connect to their networks directly

Uhm, how do you define "fairly open"?

http://developer.aim.com/faq#aimcc

Q: Are there any restrictions on what I can build?

A: We tried to make the Open AIM Program as restriction-free as possible, but in order to help protect our network and users, certain rules apply. We have highlighted some below, but please refer to the Developers License Agreement for details.

• Developers are not permitted to build Custom Clients that are multi- headed or interoperable with any other IM network.
[...]

So basically, it looks like Google is violating this agreement anyways. If they have a separate agreement with AOL, they do offer something better than just using your own AIM transport.

btw, that's the reason why aimcc didn't change anything in the IM world. All 3rd party clients are multiprotocol, so they can't use this anyways.

andy