>  Isn't JID Escaping support and/or User Nickname support in both client
>  and transport a better solution for this?

I don't see the link with JID escaping. As for user nickname support:
user nickname is for nickname updates, not nickname initialization.
You could leave the name of your roster item uninitialized (then
again, there's no way to know whether a name is initialized or not),
and 'automatically' initialize it once you get nickname notification,
but this is a very complex flow, and suffers from the general security
problem of automatic nickname assignments. With roster item exchange,
the user gets a new contact, suggested groups, suggested nickname, ...
and can accept everything in one pass.

Remko