On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Will Thompson
<will.thomp...@collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21/10/10 15:47, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
>>
>> On czw, 2010-09-16 at 09:38 +0100, Will Thompson wrote:
>>

>>> 1. Assign the new client a fresh resource;
>>> 2. Boot the old connection, granting the resource to the new client;
>>> 3. Refuse the new connection.
>>>
>>> I don't really think behaviour 3 is very useful.
>>>

>> a. Protects you from rerunning the same client with the same
>> configuration more than once.
>>
>> b. Protects you from #2 disconnect-dance if both clients are configured
>> to reconnect on disconnection.
>>

> I'd argue that any reasonable client should do the right thing (that is: not
> reconnect until explicitly told to) if it's booted for reason <conflict/>.
> :)

I've heard that suggested before, but after consideration I think the
server is the sensible place to deal with this.
The exchange:

<client> Can I be bob please?
<server> No.
<client> Can I be bert please?
<server> No.
<client Can I be beatrice please?
<server> No.
<client> Can I be euhal.uba.ul339a938udleul.acgruh.u please?
<server> Yes.
<client> Thanks!

Seems pointless compared to

<client> Can I be bob please?
<server> No, but I can let you be euhal.uba.ul339a938udleul.acgruh.u instead.
<client> Thanks!

/K