They absolutely do.  If you construct your own chain (qualified answer:
strong crypto, valid fields, proper chaining) , from end-to-end with only
certs that you trust and control, you're 100%.

Hard is getting client (with only pinned cert) and server (with only pinned
cert) combo deployed where you need.

Recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1907117040/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1462424910&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bulletproof+tls&dpPl=1&dpID=41QGf5IVA3L&ref=plSrch

Delivered by drones...