I tried the example with directly connection to 5222 and the performance
improved vastly.

I am running into another issue now.

I have setup ejabberd and opened port 5222.

I have setup nginx as a reverse proxy for ejabberd server. The nginx
configuration is as follows.

*stream{    upstream ejabberd-servers{        server ejabberd:5222;    }
server{        listen 5222;        proxy_pass ejabberd-servers;    }}*

*ejabberd* point to the ejabberd server and I am using a docker container
to reverse proxy.

The smack code I am using to connect is as shown below.

*public void createConnectionObject(){    AbstractXMPPConnection conn
= null;    try {        XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration.Builder
builderConfig = XMPPTCPConnectionConfiguration.builder();
SmackConfiguration.DEBUG = true;
builderConfig.setConnectTimeout(60000);
builderConfig.setHost(xmppHost);
builderConfig.setPort(xmppPort);
builderConfig.setServiceName(xmppDomain);
builderConfig.setDebuggerEnabled(true);
builderConfig.setSecurityMode(ConnectionConfiguration.SecurityMode.required);
       /*System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore",
"classpath:hereimkeystore.jks");*/
builderConfig.setKeystoreType("jks");
builderConfig.setKeystorePath("classpath:mykeystore.jks");
ProxyInfo proxyInfo = getProxyInfo();
builderConfig.setProxyInfo(proxyInfo);        conn = new
XMPPTCPConnection(builderConfig.build());
conn.setPacketReplyTimeout(100000);        conn.connect();
}catch(SmackException se){        System.out.println("Smack Exception
thrown");    }catch(IOException io){        System.out.println("IO
Exception thrown");    }catch(XMPPException xmppEx){
System.out.println("XMPP Exception thrown");    }    this.connection =
conn;}private ProxyInfo getProxyInfo(){    ProxyInfo proxyInfo =
ProxyInfo.forHttpProxy(xmppHost, 443, null, null);    return
proxyInfo;}*

But when I try to make the connection, I get the error
"java.net.SocketException: Unconnected sockets not implemented"

I understand nginx will only serve as a tcp proxy, so any pointers on
how to get this work?

Regards

Vaibhav