Hi Craig,

just a little comment:

The following Apache page writes commons-logging in capitals:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/index.html

The user guide writes it in capitals without a dash. Moreover, it uses notion 'Jakarta Commons Logging' instead of 'Apache commons-logging':

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/guide.html

However, the API doc uses notion 'commons-logging':

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/api/index.html

I'm not sure which notion is best to use.

Regards,
Michael

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jdo Wiki" for change
notification.

The following page has been changed by CraigRussell:
http://wiki.apache.org/jdo/LoggingDetails

   * '''Derby''' uses proprietary logging.
   * '''JPOX''' uses Log4J.
   * '''Spring``Framework''' (called by TCK) uses Apache commons-logging.
-  * '''TCK testcases''' use Apache Commons-Logging.
+  * '''TCK testcases''' use Apache commons-logging.
   * '''TCK JUnit''' result logging uses proprietary logging.
   * '''TCK result summary''' uses proprietary logging.
@@ -34, +34 @@

* Derby uses `derby.properties`.
   * Log4J uses `log4j.properties`.
-  * Apache Commons-Logging uses `common-logging.properties`.
+  * Apache commons-logging uses `common-logging.properties`.
- The TCK junit result logging as well as the TCK result summary logging is not configurable.
+ The TCK junit result logging and the TCK result summary logging are not
configurable.
- We provide another properties file configuring JDK 1.4 logging. This file may be used by implementations under test. Besides, it is used if Apache Commons-Logging is configured to run with JDK 1.4 logging.
+ There is another properties file configuring JDK 1.4 logging. This file may
be used by implementations under test (iut). It is also used if Apache
commons-logging is configured to run with JDK 1.4 logging.
= TCK20 Logger Instances = @@ -49, +49 @@

  || org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.company.Company``Model``Reader || ERROR ||
Spring``Framework ||
  || org.springframework || ERROR || Spring``Framework ||
- The log level of logger instance `org.apache.jdo.tck` defaults to `INFO`. Both remaining logger instances are used by Spring``Framework. The log level of these logger instances default to `ERROR`.
+ The log level of logger instance `org.apache.jdo.tck` defaults to `INFO`.
Both remaining logger instances are used by Spring``Framework. The log levels
of these logger instances default to `ERROR`.
'''''Note''': Spring``Framework classes write log messages using log level `INFO`. Since we do not want to see Spring``Framework `INFO` log messages, we set the log level of Spring``Framework logger instances to `ERROR`. Due to the fact that TCK class `org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.company.Company``Model``Reader` extends a Spring``Framework class which retrieves a logger instance calling `LogFactory.getLog(getClass())`, we have to define a logger instance on class `org.apache.jdo.tck.pc.company.Company``Model``Reader`.'' @@ -58, +58 @@

JDO implementations using Log4J or JDK 1.4 logging may use specific file appender or file handler implementations of tck20 in order to write logging output to directory `tck20/target/logs/<timestamp>/`. This may be achieved by editing file `tck20/test/log4j.properties`: {{{
- # log4j vendor specific appender
+ # log4j vendor-specific appender
  log4j.appender.<vendor> = org.apache.jdo.tck.util.TCKFileAppender
  log4j.appender.<vendor>.File = <vendor>.txt
  }}}
@@ -66, +66 @@

  or by editing file `tck20/test/logging.properties`:
{{{
- # JDK 1.4 vendor specific handler
+ # JDK 1.4 vendor-specific handler
  handlers = org.apache.jdo.tck.util.TCKFileHandler
  org.apache.jdo.tck.util.TCKFileHandler.fileName = <vendor>.txt
  org.apache.jdo.tck.util.TCKFileHandler.level = FINEST
@@ -82, +82 @@

  This method returns a file name which is constructed by values of some system
properties appended by the given file name. The system properties are:
* `jdo.tck.log.directory`: Specifies the directory for the file.
-  * `jdo.tck.database`, `jdo.tck.cfg`: The values of these properties prepend
the given file name.
+  * `jdo.tck.database`, `jdo.tck.cfg`: The values of these properties are used
to construct the file name.
   * `jdo.tck.identitytype`: The value of this property is replaced by `app` if
it equals `applicationidentity`, else it is replaced by `dsid`.
The returned file name is constructed as follows:
@@ -93, +93 @@

Values of properties which do not exist default to `""`. - = Apache Commons-Logging Configuration =
+ = Apache commons-logging Configuration =
- Apache Commons-Logging allows to switch between different logging implementations (including JDK1.4 logging, Log4J and Apache's simple logging implementation). There are three properties files to configure logging:
+ Apache commons-logging allows switching between different logging
implementations (including JDK1.4 logging, Log4J and Apache's simple logging
implementation). There are three properties files to configure logging:
|| '''Properties File''' || '''Description''' ||
  || common-logging.properties || Specifies the logging implementation to use.
@@ -103, +103 @@

  || log4j.properties || Logger configuration when using Log4J logging. ||
  || simplelog.properties || Logger configuration when using Apache simple
logging. ||
- = Log Level Mapping between JDK 1.4 and Apache Commons-Logging =
+ = Log Level Mapping between JDK 1.4 and Apache commons-logging =
- The following table describes the mapping between the log level of JDK 1.4 logging and Apache Commons-Logging:
+ The following table describes the mapping between the log level of JDK 1.4
logging and Apache commons-logging:
- || '''JDK 1.4''' || '''Apache Commons-Logging''' ||
+ || '''JDK 1.4''' || '''Apache commons-logging''' ||
  || FINEST||trace ||
  || FINE, FINER||debug ||
  || INFO, CONFIG||info ||
@@ -116, +116 @@

= TCK11 and RI11 Logger Instances = - The ri11 sources use the following logger instances:
+ The ri11 implementation uses the following logger instances:
|| '''Logger Instance''' || '''Log Level''' || '''Component''' ||
  || org.apache.jdo.impl.fostore || File Object Store implementation ||
@@ -142, +142 @@

    org.apache.jdo.tck
  }}}
- = Log Level Mapping between RI11 Logging and Apache Commons-Logging =
+ = Log Level Mapping between RI11 Logging and Apache commons-logging =
- The following table maps the log level of the former JDORI util.Logger class to apache commons logging log level:
+ The following table maps the log level of the former JDORI util.Logger class
to Apache commons-logging log level:
- || '''JDORI Logger''' || '''Apache Commons-Logging''' ||
+ || '''JDORI Logger''' || '''Apache commons-logging''' ||
  || TIME, BUF||trace ||
  || DEBUG, TEST||debug ||
  || INFO||info ||

Michael Watzek                  [EMAIL PROTECTED] Engineering GmbH
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Buelowstr. 66