Hi Michael,

In that case we should not use connection pooling at all. The reason is that even if the JDO implementation returns back the same connection pool if given the same pmf properties file again, then it appears that the implementation does not get rid of the connection pool and gives it back to you when you get another pmf with same properties, which would break our strategy of releasing resources after each test. We will have to define what resources need to be released.
What do you think?

Michael Watzek wrote:

Hi Karan,

Do we really need to close PMF after each test run? I am not very sure why we would do that.

I think the strategy is to release resources after each test run. If we change this strategy, at which time would we release resources instead?

Regards,
Michael

   We could adapt a policy of not closing pmf, but

only those tests which require an explicit closing of pmf would call closePMF() or something like this which would
1. explicitly close the pmf in cache (pmf.close())
2. flush the cache.

I think we should remove pmf.close() after each test run, unless there is requirement in the tck that we close pmf after each test.

Michael Watzek wrote:

Hi Craig,

Hi,

It might be worthwhile looking at the JDO_Test method where the PMF is acquired. Perhaps a static Map that holds the PMF between tests would work. The thing to watch for is to make sure that the PMF that's cached fully meets the requirements of the Properties/Map that is being used. There is some logic there.

Isn't there an issue at pmf.close()? After each test method, pmf.close() is called. We would have to avoid that closed pmf instances are in the cache. But it would not make sense to remove the pmf instance from the cache, because then it would be empty.

Does this mean, you would not close the pmf?

Regards,
Michael

I think that for most cases in the tck, the identical Properties is being passed in and maybe all we need is to have JDO_Test make a copy of the PMF properties and a reference to the PMF and if the properties matches the cached Properties, return the cached PMF.

We need to make sure that this doesn't interfere with the PMF that uses a different Properties by design.

Craig