I looked at some other repositories, they appear to have LICENSE and
NOTICE in their repository root.

https://github.com/apache/spark

https://github.com/apache/derby

https://github.com/apache/kafka

Didn't you mention something like that the plugin may not overwrite
files that already exist? In that case we could solve the problem by
just renaming the current files by removing the .txt ending...?

Til.