Hi,

I think it's fine.

I think it can break code where people have a sorted list of
SingleFieldIdentity. This is probably rare (?).

An alternative might be to parametrize SingefieldIdentity:

public abstract class SingleFieldIdentity<SUBCLASS extends
SingleFieldIdentity<SUBCLASS>>
    implements Externalizable,Comparable<SUBCLASS>

and each subclass:

public class CharIdentity extends SingleFieldIdentity<CharIdentity>

I think that this way the SingleFieldIdentity stays comparable.

This seems to compile but I haven't tested it.

Tilmann