[CloudBees hat]

You might be after the RBAC plugin available in Jenkins Enterprise and
described at
http://jenkins-enterprise.cloudbees.com/docs/user-guide-bundle/rbac.html

It allows defining groups local to jenkins and even local to specific
folders within jenkins. Additionally roles can be assigned at specific
levels too.

[/CloudBees hat]

In general Jenkins assumes that groups and group information is provided by
the authentication provider (e.g. Unix auth / ActiveDirectory / LDAP / etc)

All the open source Authorization strategies that I am aware of assume that
the group information comes from the authentication provider. (see my
employer's hat for the non-open source exceptions)

-Stephen