I'm struggling getting a custom formatter to play under hpi:run.

I can pass my own logging.properties on the command line:

  mvn hpi:run -Djava.util.logging.config.file=my-logging.properties

but my formatter doesn't get used.

I can switch on/off the built-in XMLFormatter.
This proves that my-logging.properties are active:

  java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = org.example.MyFormatter
  # java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter = java.util.logging.XMLFormatter

I suspect this is similar to this problem:

http://jenkins.361315.n4.nabble.com/how-to-set-logging-properties-td3479817.html

But I can't figure out how to make my formatter class visible.
Adding it to the Jenkins war doesn't do the trick here.

Has anyone solved this?

Thanks!
-Max