Hi,
You're on the right track :).

Here's the typical way/steps to proceed:
* find or create the corresponding issue in JIRA for reference
* "fork" the plugin in your github account (if not already done)
* clone it locally (if not done)
* create a dedicated branch
* Create a commit in that branch containing your fix
* push that branch on your github fork
* create a "pull request" for that branch
* reference that PR in the JIRA issue

Hth,might seem complex but many steps are actually quite simple.

Cheers