Hello Kishore,

I've tried the backward migration from 1.532.1-rc to 1.509.4 several days
ago (just to have an evacuation plan).
Such migration is possible if you have no plugin dependency issues. Anyway,
it requires manual configuration changes, hence you definitely need a
mirror server to provide a short downtime.
You can also experience painful issues with multi-configuration projects
(JENKINS-7825, JENKINS-7285, etc.).

In general, I agree with Stephen.
Forward migration to the next LTS is a best way if it is applicable to your
needs.
BTW, any new LTS contains too much newly introduced issues, so it is a
common practice to wait for x.2 or x.3 releases if you want to migrate
between LTS branches.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev