So I jumped the gun a little bit and cut a release of acceptance-test-harness, as it was blocking me on developing other sets of tests internally.

But this triggered a comment from Oliver [1] in terms of what we want to see in the code before we consider the API stable enough.

Specifically,

I hoped there will be a discussion before making the API public. I
wanted to get rid off all the public Controls exposed from page objects
because we will not be able to preserve the API as Jenkins UI evolves.
Changes like af98505 will surely follow.

So first of all, I wanted to set the expectation right that 1.0 and 1.1 I released shouldn't be considered stable.

With that said, personally I didn't anticipate that we hold ourselves to the level of backward compatibility that we do for Jenkins, and public final Control fields are nice, namely they are very concise to write.

But I'm willing to follow what we want as a whole, so if you have any strong feelings and thoughts on this, this is the opportunity to speak up.

[1] https://github.com/jenkinsci/acceptance-test-harness/commit/8a4bacb386ee0b5a34c5dd499bd74f50b35c726d#commitcomment-6297001
--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi                          http://kohsuke.org/